To be eligible for admission onto most certificate level courses you will need the following:
• to be at least 18 years old and have qualifications or equivalent that provide access to higher education.
• good English language skills.
To be eligible for most diploma level courses you will need to have:
• a first degree or equivalent
• good English language skills
• at least two years' recent full-time teaching experience in an ESOL/EFL/ELT context
You may also be required to hold a recognised cert-ificate level qualification.
Most universities require a first degree or equivalent and a minimum of two years full time post-qulification experience of teaching English. However, there is considerable variation in entry requirements and you are advised to check with the university to determine entry requirements.
There is a vast range of useful information available on the internet.
The following are some web sites which are in keeping with the principles which QuiTE promotes:
The British Council: Teaching English
The British Council: Language Assistant
Also of interest:
TEFL in the Education Guardian
A TYPICAL CAREER PATH IN TESOL
TESOL careers are very varied. This diagram represents one common pattern which employers often look for.